Our school has a pretty good internet filter, but sometimes things still show up on my students' Google searches that I would rather not be there. (Especially true of 5th grade boys!) There are a ton of student friendly SafeSearch sites out there, but my big kids want to just "Google it" so they usually don't go to those sites unless I am hovering over them.
Enter Google SafeSearch. If you have a Google account, you can even lock SafeSearch so that you have to be the one to turn it off! The downside is that you'll have to do this on every computer, but if it will clean up the search results (and I'm hoping also the Google ads), it's worth it!
Here's how to get it done:
1. Go to http://www.google.com/preferences
2. At the top of the first screen you'll see this:
4. If you have a Google account, you can lock this setting. Just click the "lock safe search button".
5. After you enter your password, you will be taken to this screen, and you'll need to click "lock safe search" again.
6. It will work for a few seconds, and when it's ready you'll see this:
As my students would say, easy peasy, lemon squeezy! Hope this helps clean up your students' Google searches!