Friday, November 21, 2014

Five for Friday (11/21/14)



Happy Friday! I'm linking up with Doodlebugs for one of my favorite linky parties...



In honor of the last Friday before Thanksgiving, I am writing about some of the random things I am thankful for.  

Okay, before we get started on the random, these are the not-random 5 things I am thankful for: my Lord and Savior, my son and daughter, my family, my friends, and my job.  

Now to the random....



Soccer and Volleyball

Soccer and Volleyball are so much more than sports to me.  They are opportunities.  Opportunities to connect with my children.  Opportunities to bond and bridge the gap between mother and child. Opportunities to nurture and encourage. Opportunities to cheer and yell.  Opportunities to give to my children the most important possessions I have... my time, my attention, my support, and my love.



Smart Phones


What a cool time we live in!  I can call anyone, anywhere in the world from any place in my life- my car (most often), my classroom, my backyard, my shopping trips to Wal-mart.  What a way to stay connected!  And the amazing things the phones can do.  They are not just phones anymore; they are computers- AT OUR FINGERTIPS that we carry in our PURSE or POCKET.  



The Walking Dead


TV has come a long way, baby, and I am enjoying the ride.  It is seriously like going to the movies each week. Enough said.


Crayons

How many pictures have I seen over the years made from crayons? My son and daughter colored more beautiful creations than I can ever count.  Priceless works of art each and every one of them. My students use them in the classroom to depict everything from their wildest dreams to a math problem to friendly notes. How would the world look without them? Plain. Bland. Boring. Colorless.

Cameras

Digital, Polaroid, 35 mm, smart phone cameras, and video cameras all capture a little piece of history in an instant.  A moment frozen in time.  A fragment of the past grasped forever to cherish. Snippets of fun and happy.  Pieces of sad and tragic.  Fractions of proud and monumental.  A scrap of time to treasure instead of forget.

So those are my 5 random thankful for's.  What are yours?






6 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blog post! I will probably steal it soon! In the meantime, I am thankful for my Nook! I love having many books available with just a swipe of my finger, especially when traveling. I also love that my Nook has a lighted face so I can read in the dark! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog post about what to be thankful for. I am thinking of a linky party and maybe that will be a great idea for teachers to be thankful for. Plus, I love The Walking Dead because it gives us a chance to see what continued.

    Jasmine H.
    The Dots of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post! I'm planning on doing my thankful one this week! I haven't gotten into the Walking Dead. I think everyone I know though has. I will check it out eventually. Besides my husband and kids, and God...I am so thankful for my kindle. We don't have a public library so having access to books to read is huge for me.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Joya

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the exact same "non-random" blessings as you do! I'm thankful for warm fuzzy slippers, my electric fireplace, coffee, tea, and my cat. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it deleted my thoughts and they were pretty good.
    Repeating, I totally agree on the nonrandom items but of course I'd add your Daddy and being retired. Thanks for sharing again so the #1 fan can catch up. I absolutely cannot agree with the Walking Dead! Just give me a romantic comedy or a good mystery and this Mama is good. The Nook is a great blessing, now I can read in bed without a flashlight under my chin. Be thankful in all things. Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your random list of thankfulness! What in the world would we do without cameras? I cherish the photos of my wedding & my son, of course, but I also enjoy taking pictures of the kids at school and documenting our learning!

    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)