Today is Monday! Let's READ a book!
Reading is such a huge part of my life. I cannot remember a time when I didn't love reading. I am always reading a book. I am never NOT reading a book (I know- a double negative!). As soon as I finish a book, I already have a new one picked out and waiting for me ready to take me on the next adventure. I read for the pure pleasure of escaping my everyday hoo-hum life and entering into exciting worlds through the words printed on the page . I actually have rules for reading. Now, these are rules for my personal reading, not rules for classroom reading or professional reading. That is my disclaimer.
Juliet's Rules for Personal Reading:
1. Never read a book that doesn't have a happy ending! This is my most important rule, and I NEVER break it. I have suffered enough in my life (details left unsaid). I don't need to suffer in my recreation time.
2. If a book is not gripping me, I skip to the end. Yes, you guessed it, I read the end and then I put the book away and never think about it again. If a book doesn't grab me from the start, I don't want to waste my precious reading time on it.
3. I do NOT do book clubs. I do not like to dissect what I am reading.
4. I do not usually read award winning books. This kind of goes along with rule number 3. I just don't like being "told" what to read.
5. Murders are welcome UNLESS they are children. That is where I draw a very firm line. Nightmares, folks.
6. I don't like to read books that make me cry. Sappy equals crappy in my library.
Maybe you're asking yourself right now what I actually do read. I LOVE mysteries! Murder is good. Crime is good. Humor is good. Romance is good. Adventure is good. If it has all of the above, then it is great!
I am currently reading the young adult fiction series Blue Bloods written by Melissa De La Cruz. I am on the 4th book and loving the series. The author's website states,"Within New York City’s most elite families, there lurks a secret society of celebrated Americans whose ancestors sailed on the Mayflower. They are the powerful and the wealthy—and in fact, they are not human. They are the Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires."
Let me know what you are reading!
Even better, what rules do YOU follow when selecting your personal books to read?
We are linking up with Teach Mentor Texts for What are you Reading Monday?.