Monday, June 23, 2014

What are You Reading Today?

Today is Monday!  Let's READ a book!

Reading is such a huge part of my life.  I cannot remember a time when I didn't love reading.  I am always reading a book.  I am never NOT reading a book (I know- a double negative!).  As soon as I finish a book, I already have a new one picked out and waiting for me ready to take me on the next adventure.  I read for the pure pleasure of escaping my everyday hoo-hum life and entering into exciting worlds through the words printed on the page .  I actually have rules for reading.  Now, these are rules for my personal reading, not rules for classroom reading or professional reading.  That is my disclaimer.

Juliet's Rules for Personal Reading:

1. Never read a book that doesn't have a happy ending!  This is my most important rule, and I NEVER break it.  I have suffered enough in my life (details left unsaid).  I don't need to suffer in my recreation time.
2.  If a book is not gripping me, I skip to the end.  Yes, you guessed it, I read the end and then I put the book away and never think about it again.  If a book doesn't grab me from the start, I don't want to waste my precious reading time on it.
3.  I do NOT do book clubs.  I do not like to dissect what I am reading.  
4.  I do not usually read award winning books.  This kind of goes along with rule number 3.  I just don't like being "told" what to read.
5.  Murders are welcome UNLESS they are children.  That is where I draw a very firm line.  Nightmares, folks. 
6.  I don't like to read books that make me cry.  Sappy equals crappy in my library.

Maybe you're asking yourself right now what I actually do read.  I LOVE mysteries!  Murder is good. Crime is good.  Humor is good.  Romance is good.  Adventure is good.  If it has all of the above, then it is great!

I am currently reading the young adult fiction series Blue Bloods written by Melissa De La Cruz.  I am on the 4th book and loving the series.    The author's website states,"Within New York City’s most elite families, there lurks a secret society of celebrated Americans whose ancestors sailed on the Mayflower. They are the powerful and the wealthy—and in fact, they are not human. They are the Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires."  

Let me know what you are reading!


Even better, what rules do YOU follow when selecting your personal books to read?




We are linking up with Teach Mentor Texts for What are you Reading Monday?.





4 comments:

  1. I've read the Blue Bloods series. I really enjoyed it! I'm on the second book of The Selection series, The Elite. :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendation. Right now, I am reading Emily Griffin's The One and Only. It's not a mystery, but a very intriguing book about a woman trying to figure it all out. I like your personal reading rules. When you have time to read for pleasure, it should definitely be something you enjoy!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love a good happy ending! I feel very disappointed with an unsatisfying or sad ending.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Your rules for personal reading really made me think about what my rules might be. How do you know if a book is going to have a happy or sad ending before reading it? I've found that there is a certain real-ness to books I have read that have not-so-happy endings. I'm a fan of a happy ending but I've learned about myself and life by reading books that don't always end super happy. I totally understand your preference, you really got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to read your comments, and prefer to reply by email so that you will receive our responses. Make sure you're not a "No Reply Blogger" or leave your email address in your comment.Thanks for stopping by! :)